Iron Mike Tyson stopped by this morning to promote his brand-new book "Undisputed Truth." Mike was not keen on the idea of writing a memoir and reliving the past, but Larry "Ratso" Sloman, who also co-wrote Howard's books, convinced Mike to start talking.
The first time Ratso started questioning him, Mike was high on cocaine and when the subject of his ex-wife Robin Givens came up, Mike was ready to fight. He controlled himself instead of beating the shit out of Ratso, but he didn't start talking again for two years.
The book was worth the wait, though, and Howard talked to Mike about some of the best stories in his 'killer' memoir. Check out the highlights (below)
Mike and His Mother
Mike slept in a bed with his mother until he was fifteen. It wasn't sexual, it was just a comfort thing. Howard felt that he was tethered to his mom, but Mike just saw it as the way things were.
Even when his mom had sex in the bed right next to him, it was "the cards [he] was dealt." Mike's relationship with his mom made him very protective of women, especially when they were being hassled by somebody else.
"I was Captain Save-A-Ho," Mike gleefully recalled.
Learning to Rob, Party, and Fight
An older guy took Mike under his wing and taught him how to live. And by "live" he meant how to rob, party, fight.
While Mike's mother was undergoing cancer treatment, he'd go out and rob houses. When friends of his mother's would stop by to see her, he'd take off an rob their houses, sure that they weren't home. Mike stressed again that it was just the way things were done, it wasn't out of anger or jealousy.
Meeting Cus D'Amato
Anger and jealousy came when Mike met the most important person in his life, boxing trainer Cus D'Amato.
"Cus taught me jealousy. I was nothing when I met Cus. Cus made me a great fighter."
Cus thought Mike was too emotional, and was furious when Mike would apologize after hurting a guy badly in the ring. He taught Mike to be a killer without apologies. Cus even pressed Mike to get married in the ninth grade. He thought it would settle Mike down and get him to focus.
A Life of Highlights and Lowlights
- Mike dated supermodel Naomi Campbell after the two met on the Concord. Even though Mike was heavyweight champion of the world, he still felt Naomi was too glamorous and out of his league.
- Mike was sent to prison for three years in 1992. The structured order of life behind bars was so different from Mike's chaotic life outside that he writes that he sometimes fantasizes about blowing someone's brains out just so he could go back.
- Tyson's has talked before about having sex with a drug counselor in prison, but one woman was not enough. He's have women show up on visiting day wearing no panties and a backward button-up dresses for easy access. The woman would sit on Mike's lap and he's have sex with them quickly while they acted like they were only going in for a kiss.
It's a miracle he didn't get anyone pregnant or get any STDs because he didn't know these ladies. One of the girls Mike had sex with also had sex with a friend of his and both of them died of AIDS.
- Mike wrote about being so furious at Don King while riding with him in a car that he had every intention of choking him to death, but he wasn't able to get to the front seat fast enough to get him.
- At the end of the interview, Mike pointed out that this is the first time he's been in since Robin returned to the studio. He claimed that Howard was nice and gentle when Robin was out, but now that she's back, his confidence has made him much tougher.