Alec starred on the terrific NBC/Lorne Michaels/Tina Fey sitcom 30 Rock for six seasons, before it ended earlier this year.
In the beginning, he admitted, he was nervous on the job, because despite hosting Saturday Night Live sixteen times, he isn't primarily a comedy star. After the first two seasons, he got into a groove and loved working with Tina and the writers on the show.
Season five, he admitted, was "terrible." The writers and producers knew it was their weakest season and decided that they were done after season six.
Baldwin had grown to love the sitcom lifestyle so much that he actually suggested that everybody take a 20% pay-cut so that could do a season seven and eight, but creator and star Tina Fey had had her second kid and she was done running a weekly TV show.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM ALEC BALDWIN'S APPEARANCE
- Alec revealed that he did go to dinner with the woman who would end up being accused of stalking him, but it was only because a friend had asked him to have a meal with her because she was looking to get into the business. Alec's friend had been involved with the woman and evidently wanted someone to take her off his hands. Alec went to dinner as a courtesy, and noted that she's 39 years old and has a thick French-Canadian accent, so it was going to be tough for her to break through in Hollywood.
- Alec calls Andrew Dice Clay one of the best thing in their new movie, "Blue Jasmine".
- Alec was offered the role of a villain in a big superhero movie, but he wouldn't say which one.
- Alec cited Kevin Klein and Daniel Day Lewis as two of the top actors working today. Howard pointed out: "You never see them on Twitter."
- While he doesn't agree with either of them politically, Alec noted that Bill O'Reilly is talented, while Sean Hannity is untalented.
- The next project for Alec, literally right after he left the studio, was shooting Capital One commercials all day in a school on the Upper East Side. He said he gets flack for starring in the ads, but he's raised over $13 million for charity.